Central York Fire Services (CYFS) strives to provide excellence in fire protection, prevention, public fire education and emergency services to the residents of Aurora and Newmarket.
CYFS urges you to review the following checklist to ensure that your home is Fire Smart.
Fire Inspection Checklist:
- Check all electrical cords and ensure they are in good condition, if damaged be sure to replace them right away.
- Ensure appliances and lights are plugged into separate electrical outlets.
- Test all smoke alarms to make sure they are in working order.
- Make sure all escape routes are clear of clutter and easily accessible.
- Check the kitchen and make sure that curtains and other things that can burn are cleared away from the stovetop.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned regularly (at least once a year).
- Have your furnace inspected at least once a year.
- If you have portable space heaters, ensure they are at least one metre away from burnable items.
- Check your clothes dryer and make sure the vent and filter are clean.
- Make sure all of your extension cords are used safely and are not under carpets or across walking areas.
If you would like to have CYFS visit your home as part of the Stay Fire Smart Campaign, call the fire department at 905-895-9222.
Remember to call 9-1-1 in case of emergencies