Proudly Protecting the Communities of Aurora and Newmarket

​​Stay fire smart.... in the kitchen!!

 
Did you know that unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires?A stovetop pot engulfed in flames

  
Most kitchen fires occur because:
  • Leaving the kitchen to do another chore such as lau​ndry
  • Distracted by phone calls
  • Doorbell rang and forgot about food on the stove
  • The children needed attention
  • "I laid down for just a moment"
  • Catching up on reading or watching your favourite show
Know the hazards in your kitchen:
  • Never pour water onto a grease fire.  Slide a lid on the burning pan and turn off the heat control switch.
  • Keep your stove clean from grease and oil
  • Keep pot handles turned inward
  • Keep toddlers and their toys out of the kitchen
  • Make sure electrical cords are in good working condition and secured over the countertop. Never overload electrical circuits.
  • Wear clothing that is fitted while cooking
  • Keep snacks and treats stored in areas other than above the stove
What to do if there is a fire in your kitchen:
  • PUT A LID ON IT!  Slide a proper fitting lid onto the pot/pan, then turn off the heat source
  • While cooking, always have oven mitts and proper-fitting lids nearby
  • If there is a fire in the oven or microwave:  close the door, turn the power off, and open doors and windows to ventilate
  • If you are in danger at anytime, alert others in the home while evacuating, exit the home, and go to your meeting place.  Call 911 from a safe location.
​​​