Stay fire smart.... in the kitchen!!
Did you know that unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires?
Most kitchen fires occur because:
- Leaving the kitchen to do another chore such as laundry
- Distracted by phone calls
- Doorbell rang and forgot about food on the stove
- The children needed attention
- "I laid down for just a moment"
- Catching up on reading or watching your favourite show
Know the hazards in your kitchen:
- Never pour water onto a grease fire. Slide a lid on the burning pan and turn off the heat control switch.
- Keep your stove clean from grease and oil
- Keep pot handles turned inward
- Keep toddlers and their toys out of the kitchen
- Make sure electrical cords are in good working condition and secured over the countertop. Never overload electrical circuits.
- Wear clothing that is fitted while cooking
- Keep snacks and treats stored in areas other than above the stove
What to do if there is a fire in your kitchen:
- PUT A LID ON IT! Slide a proper fitting lid onto the pot/pan, then turn off the heat source
- While cooking, always have oven mitts and proper-fitting lids nearby
- If there is a fire in the oven or microwave: close the door, turn the power off, and open doors and windows to ventilate
- If you are in danger at anytime, alert others in the home while evacuating, exit the home, and go to your meeting place. Call 911 from a safe location.