CYFS Stay Fire Smart Campaign
Fire crews visit neighbourhoods in Newmarket and Aurora this summer
Central York Fire Services (CYFS) kicked-off their first annual Stay Fire Smart campaign in June 2013. The campaign will see fire crews visit neighbourhoods in Newmarket and Aurora to create awareness around home escape planning and to remind them it is the law to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms (CO) in homes. The campaign runs every year from May 1st – August 31st.
Fire crews will travel door-to-door handing out information packages, engaging with residents about how to best be prepared in case of a fire, and provide them with the option of receiving a free home inspection. Firefighters will stress the importance of developing and practising a home escape plan, ensuring that working smoke alarms are on every storey and outside of all sleeping areas and to install CO alarms outside all sleeping areas of a residence.
The Stay Fire Smart campaign began in the summer of 2013 with the goal of visiting every home in Newmarket and Aurora over a five-year period. In 2017, CYFS reached our goal by visiting every single residence in Newmarket and Aurora; approximately 44,000 homes. CYFS plans to continue visiting every single family home in Central York over a five-year period.
"The ultimate goal of our Stay Fire Smart mission is to ensure people are proactive and prepared in case of a fire," said CYFS Fire Chief Ian Laing. "Planning ahead can save seconds and ultimately save lives, and our firefighters are here to give residents the tools to stay fire smart and stay safe."
In 2018, CYFS introduced "Smart Technology" by using iPADS and the "Stay Fire Smart APP" for the campaign. This technology will further advance our existing program by allowing us to collect data to track the success of our efforts.
In addition to the fire crews, designated Smoke Alarm Campaign Specialists will visit homes upon request to check batteries, replace alarms and answer questions for residents who may require assistance. Smoke Alarm Campaign Specialists can be contacted by calling 905-895-9222 and will be out in the community throughout the summer beginning mid June every year.
"Having a plan and practising it is especially important for those who may require additional support," notes Chief Fire Prevention Officer Ryan Schell. "Residents can always reach out and contact the fire department for any assistance they may need when it comes to installing smoke alarms or mapping home escape routes – CYFS is here to help."
Some of the important messages the fire crews will be delivering to the public include:
Home Escape Planning:
- Develop and practice your home escape plan with every person in your household
- Choose a common meeting place outside a safe distance from your home to make sure everyone is accounted for
- Get out and stay out. Never re-enter the building and call the fire department from a cell phone or a neighbour's phone
Smoke Alarm Safety:
- Provincial law requires that smoke alarms be installed on every storey and outside of all sleeping areas in the home
- Change the batteries on your smoke alarm once a year or whenever the low battery warning sounds
- Test smoke alarms monthly to ensure the batteries are still good and the alarm is working
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Safety:
- Provincial law requires that CO alarms be installed outside of all sleeping areas in the home
- Change the batteries on your CO alarm once a year or whenever the low battery warning sounds
- Test CO alarms monthly to ensure the batteries are still good and the alarm is working
"Education and preparedness are critical factors for protecting our families from the threat of fire," said Chief Ian Laing. "I commend Central York Fire Services for introducing this innovative Stay Fire Smart Technology, to keep our residents informed about fire safety, vigilant in the use of smoke alarms and prepared to get their family to safety in the event of a fire."
Central York Fire Services is a consolidated fire department that provides fire protection and prevention to the Towns of Newmarket and Aurora.
To book an appointment or for more information
please call: 905-895-9222
or email us at