Proudly Protecting the Communities of Aurora and Newmarket

​​​​Blow it out, Before you go out!

candle.jpg 

Fires caused by candles a​re on the rise! In fact, candle fires in Ontario have increased by 47 per cent from 1995 to 2001. Here are a few candle-safety guidelines to help keep your home free of candle fires:

 
  • Never leave candles burning unattended. 
  • Always snuff out candles before leaving the room or going to bed. 
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children, animals and flammable material. 
  • Whenever possible, place a glass chimney over the candles.
  • Keep candles at least a foot away from anything that can burn.
  • Use sturdy candle holders that won't tip or burn.
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to a quarter inch or less.
  • When lighting candles, keep your hair and clothing away from the flame.
  • Keep candles away from where your pet may contact them.
  • Avoid using candles during power outages. Have flashlights, batteries and battery powered lighting on hand to help you see.
  • Never use a candle as a nightlight.
  • Keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet.
  • Don't allow children or teens to burn candles in their bedrooms.
  • Never use candles with combustible items embedded in them such as twigs, flowers or leaves.
  • When possible use flameless or faux candles.
  • Be careful not to splatter wax when extinguishing a candle.
  • Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used as the two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire. Medical oxygen can cause materials to ignite more easily and burn at a faster rate than normal. It can make an existing fire burn faster and hotter.​
  • Always use a flashlight, not a candle, for emergency lighting.
  • Use only battery - powered lights in tents, trailers, motor homes, and boats.​