Furnaces, water heaters, clothes dryers, space heaters, ranges, ovens, fireplaces, wood stoves, charcoal grills and automobiles all produce potentially lethal carbon monoxide.
The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide is called the "Silent Killer" because you can't see, smell or taste it. And it's lethal!
Help protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide with these important tips:
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious injury or death. Be aware of carbon monoxide danger signs and protect yourself!
- Install carbon monoxide alarms near the sleeping areas of your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning appliances, systems and chimneys are properly ventilated and are serviced once per year by a qualified service technician or heating contractor.
- Check for improper furnace venting and cracked furnace heat exchangers.
- Do not allow vehicle exhaust fumes to enter your home.
- Avoid using charcoal grills inside your home, tents, camper vehicles or unventilated garages.
- Clean and inspect chimneys and flues once per year to ensure adequate ventilation. Animals and bird nests, snow, ice and other debris can block gases from escaping your chimney.
- If your carbon monoxide alarm is set off and someone experiences headaches, dizziness or nausea, call 9-1-1 and move everyone outside of the house or building. Do not re-enter until your home is completely aired out and the problem has been corrected.
Carbon monoxide and the Ontario Fire Code