Outdoor Burning Restrictions
The following restrictions apply to Outdoor Burning in the Towns of Newmarket and Aurora:
- No fires are permitted during a fire ban.
- No fires are permitted on commercial or industrial properties.
- No fires are permitted between the hours of 11 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Fires MUST be in a container, apparatus or physical construct that is capable of controlling the spread of the fire.
- Fire pits, outdoor ovens or "chimineas" are examples of acceptable containers or apparatus.
- Chimineas must have any material being burnt contained within the confines of the appliance and the chiminea must not be on a combustible surface (including a wooden deck).
- No noxious or treated materials may be burnt, including oil, grease, painted wood, pressure treated wood, plastics, tires, rags, etc.
- No materials may be burnt that are normally collected under the Town's garbage, recycling or yard waste collection programs.
- Fires cannot be larger than 0.75metres (30 inches) in diameter and NO more than 1 metre (40 inches) in height, including flame height.
- Fires must be at least 4 metres (13 feet) from any lot line, building, structure, deck, hedge, tree, fence, vehicular right of way or overhead wire.
- A responsible person at least 18 years of age MUST be present at all times that the fire is burning.
- A garden hose MUST be located in close proximity to the fire (with the hose valve opened) at all times that the fire is burning.
- Fires are NOT permitted on land or premises where construction is ongoing.
- A fire is NOT permitted when the direction or intensity of the wind may cause the uncontrolled spread of the fire to other combustible materials, including grass and brush.
NOTE: No permit is required to have a fire in the Towns of Newmarket and Aurora.
COMPLIANCE: When CYFS responds to complaints of open burning and it is determined that the burning does NOT comply with this by-law, the persons having the fire will be directed to extinguish it, or it WILL BE extinguished by CYFS. In the event that a property owner is repetitively not complying with the provisions of the by-law, CYFS may charge the cost of responding to the incident to the property owner. The current cost would be $500.00 per response.
For more information, please call Central York Fire Services at 905-895-9222
Aurora Burning Bylaw
Newmarket Burning Bylaw